How to legally employ a worker from Ukraine?
6 mins read

How to legally employ a worker from Ukraine?

Ostania aktualizacja 27 January 2023

Employees from Ukraine are eagerly employed in Poland. Their commitment to work, diligence and willingness to learn are increasingly appreciated by Polish employers, which is why it is worth learning how to employ employees from Ukraine legally.

Employment of an employee from Ukraine – formalities

If the employer wants to legally employ an employee from Ukraine , he must first arrange a number of formalities that will allow such an employee to take up work without the risk of deportation.

Therefore, at the very beginning, the employer should make sure that the potential employee has a residence permit (which the employee must apply for) that will allow him to start work. When he makes sure that his future employee stays on Polish territory legally and can take up work during his stay, the employer proceeds to do the necessary formalities to legally employ an employee from Ukraine .

In order to legally employ an employee from Ukraine , the employer should first have: a work permit for a foreigner or a seasonal work permit or an entry in the register of declarations on entrusting work to a foreigner . To obtain the latter, the employer reports to the PUP, where he submits an appropriate statement. Then the PUP registers the statement in the register. This usually happens in one day, but sometimes it may take more time for officials, especially before the summer season, when more such reports appear.

Employment of an employee from Ukraine – step by step

When the employer receives an entry in the register of declarations of entrusting work to a foreigner , he can proceed to settle the rest of the formalities necessary to employ an employee from Ukraine :

First of all: the employer must sign a relevant contract with the foreigner, and then present it translated into Ukrainian or Belarusian, so that the employee understands all the contractual provisions. When setting the terms of employment, you should help a translator who will help both parties to the contract.

Secondly: the employer must copy the foreigner’s residence permit to be sure that the employee is legally resident in the country and his residence permit allows him to take up work.

Thirdly: entrust work under the conditions set out in the permit or statement, it is important that the employer, submitting to the PUP a statement on entrusting work to a foreigner , includes all the obligations that will be performed by an employee from Ukraine. Differences between a declaration and a contract may be problematic for employers.

Fourthly: the employer is also required to register an employee from Ukraine for social security if it is justified by the chosen form of employment. So, the next step for an employer is, as in the case of hiring an employee from Poland, registering him for ZUS insurance and pension contributions, in accordance with the concluded contract.

Fifthly: in accordance with the changes introduced from January 1, 2018, the employer must also fulfill the information obligations, i.e. provide information about taking up (at the latest on the date of commencement of work) or not taking up work by the foreigner (within 7 days from the date of commencing the work indicated in the statement) .

Workers from Ukraine for the season

From January 2018, a new type of work permit for employees from Ukraine – type S, i.e. a seasonal work permit , is also in force . This document is issued by the staroste at the request of the employer and entitles to perform work in subclasses deemed to be seasonal for 9 months in a calendar year. Upon arrival of the employee, the employer is obliged to notify the PUP and report the place of residence of the foreigner. After meeting these conditions , a seasonal work permit will be issued for the employee from Ukraine .

The regulation on seasonal work for employees from Ukraine also specifies the subclasses in which seasonal work can be taken, these are:

Crops other than perennial

Growing of cereals, legumes and oilseeds for seeds, excluding rice

Growing vegetables, including melons, and growing root and tuber plants

Tobacco cultivation

Fiber crops

Other arable crops other than perennial

Cultivation of perennial plants

Grape growing

Cultivation of fruit, pome and stone trees and shrubs

Cultivation of other fruit trees and shrubs and nuts

Cultivation of spice and aromatic plants, as well as plants used for the production of medicines and pharmaceutical products

Cultivation of other perennial plants

Plant reproduction

Breeding and breeding of dairy cattle

Rearing and breeding of other cattle and buffaloes

Rearing and breeding of horses and other equines

Breeding and breeding of sheep and goats

Rearing and breeding of other animals

Agricultural crops combined with animal husbandry and breeding (mixed activity)

Service activities supporting crop production

Service activities supporting livestock breeding and breeding

Service activities after the harvest

Tourist accommodation establishments and short-term accommodation

Camping sites (including camping sites) and campsites

Restaurants and other catering establishments

Mobile catering establishments.


German Polish Spanish Swedish French